Factors In Enforcing An Equitable Distribution Order

If, after your divorce order is entered, one of the parties fails to follow the terms of the order that the court entered or that were agreed upon and entered as a court order, the court under the divorce code has certain powers given to it. You or your lawyer would need to file a Petition for Contempt and Enforcement of the Marital Settlement Agreement or Equitable Distribution Order and attend a hearing before the court. At that time, if a party has failed to comply with the order, the court may order compliance and can do any of the following:

  1. Enter judgment
  2. Authorize the taking and seizure of the goods and chattels and collection of the rents and profits of the real and personal, tangible and intangible property of the party
  3. Award interest on unpaid installments
  4. Order and direct the transfer or sale of any property required in order to comply with the court’s order
  5. Require security to insure future payments in compliance with the court’s order
  6. Issue attachment proceedings, directed to the sheriff or other proper officer of the county, directing that the person named as having failed to comply with the court order be brought before the court, at such time as the court may direct. If the court finds, after hearing, that the person willfully failed to comply with the court order, it may deem the person in civil contempt of court and, in its discretion, make an appropriate order, including, but not limited to, commitment of the person to the county jail for a period not to exceed six months.
  7. Award counsel fees and costs, attach wages, or find the party in contempt

23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3502, PA ST 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3502

Learn more by contacting our office by calling 215-752-6200, book online now, or contact us by email. We can meet you in our office or speak with you by phone.