WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE PASSES AWAY
When a loved one dies, the next steps can be overwhelming. At Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C., we provide guidance to personal representatives and families who are going through the probate process after a loved one’s death.
LAWYERS HELPING YOU WITH ISSUES CONCERNING AN ESTATE
Each estate is different. However, the following is a checklist of steps you can take to get started:
- Look for your loved one’s funeral and burial instructions.
- Notify your family and friends that your loved one has passed away.
- Coordinate funeral arrangements with the funeral home.
- Contact the Social Security Administration and any other government agencies that are making payments to your loved one.
- Search for wills or trusts that your loved one may have left behind.
- Review your loved one’s financial affairs and look for relevant documents such as life insurance policies, tax returns, bank statements and unpaid bills.
- Probate the will. A personal representative should be named in the will. The personal representative will be responsible for administering the estate.
- After the executor is appointed, you will need to open an estate account so that disbursements, assets and expenses can be tracked.
- Transfer assets, address liabilities and pay debts, expenses and taxes.
- The executor should wait to distribute the assets to beneficiaries until the probate court approves the final accounting.
Our attorneys can provide guidance every step of the way and help you manage any complex issues that may arise.