Who provides health insurance during/after the Divorce?

When the parties are married, usually, one of the parties carries the health insurance for the parties and any minor children. The Court keeps the status quo as much as possible while the divorce is pending. If you are carrying insurance for your spouse, you cannot drop them until the divorce is final. Health Insurance is an issue that arises in support court through Domestic Relations. As long as health insurance is available at a reasonable cost through work, that parent will be required to provide health insurance for the children.

If both parents are working and both parents have health insurance available for the children through work, then the Court will look at the cost of the plans and the benefits provided to determine which makes more economic sense. If there is a plan that is relatively cheap but provides for a high deductible, this may not be the best plan if the children have routine issues. It is important to not only look at monthly premium, but the deductibles, the special medical needs of the children, the cost of the copays for a doctor visit, specialist visit, etc. in order to determine which plan is better.

Whichever plan is chosen is paid by the parent through their employment and a portion of the cost for the children is reimbursed through the child support order. If you are the parent who provides health insurance and are receiving child support, you will get this portion included in addition to your basic support amount. If you are the parent who provides health insurance and are paying child support, then it will appear as a credit off of the basic child support that you pay.

The party who receives child support will be required to pay the first $ 250 per year per child of unreimbursed, out of pocket medical expenses. Once the $ 250 dollar point is reached, the order will allocate any remaining bills to be shared in proportion to income. It is the responsibility of the parent receiving support to document and provide proof of expenses to the other parent. Failure to pay these expenses can result in a contempt order. If there are significant, routine medical expenses, you can request that they be factored into the basic support.