The very first thing to do if your husband leaves you is to find an expert Montgomery or Bucks County divorce lawyer. You’re in a very vulnerable position, especially if your husband has been the primary breadwinner and you have children at home. You need a lawyer who knows the law and knows how to fight for you.
While you’re finding your lawyer, there are a few more “first things” you need to do immediately to protect yourself and your children.
Protect your finances:
- Change passwords, withdraw some cash, and contact the bank and other financial institutions. Your lawyer may file a temporary restraining order to prevent your husband from being able to withdraw funds.
- Close joint credit cards and other joint accounts (i.e., PayPal, amazon, Netflix, Facebook) and open them in your own name only.
- Protect valuable assets: transfer them if possible into a protected location, whether that’s a friend’s house or a safety deposit box.
- Log all communications, including phone calls, with him and what the conversation was about. Check with your lawyer about whether or not you can record them and how to do so legally.
Save important documents:
- Save all written communications: emails, letters, scraps of paper he wrote notes on, receipts. Anything could be valuable. Print out anything on the computer including emails so you also have a hard copy.
- Print out any helpful information on social media accounts: pictures, posts, anything that will help your case.
- Save all bills, bank statements, credit card statements, tax returns.
- Save photos that can support your position and help you in court.
Tell the people who need to know:
- Financial institutions and accountants – they may be able to advise you on what to do to protect your assets.
- Close friends and relatives as well as your children’s school and doctors – to avoid disclosure of information to your husband without your knowledge or consent.
Many of these protective measures can be more thoroughly and effectively implemented under the guidance and advice of a seasoned divorce lawyer. The associates at Ulmer are experts in divorce and mediation. Contact us to find out how we can help you.