Adoptee’s Name


If you are adopting a minor child, a name change can be accomplished as part of the adoption. Specifically, the final adoption decree can include the desired new name for the child. The first, middle and last name is subject to change where desired. The certified adoption decree along with vital records request form can be used to change the child’s name on their birth certificate as well as social security records. Vital records does assess a cost for a new birth certificate.

You may also accomplish a name change through adoption where the adoptee is an adult. In this case, you will also need to meet the requirements required for a civil name change. The adoptee must be fingerprinted and submit the fingerprint card to the court with the adoption petition. The adoptee will also need to supply record checks from the Prothonotary, Clerk of Court, and Recorder of Deeds for each county of residence for five (5) years prior to your filing at the time of the adoption hearing. Finally, notice of the adoption hearing date must be published in a newspaper of general circulation within the county as well as the local Law Reporter regarding the proposed name change. Proof publication should be provided to the court at the time of the adoption hearing. By April Townsend